August 1st was Swiss National Day. The date refers to a historic alliance concluded in 1291 by the three cantons of Uri, Schwyz and Unterwalden. This alliance became the basis of the regional alliances that forms today’s Switzerland. Yeah Switzerland!
Switzerland has been good to us so far. We have been very lucky and feel very lucky to be here. Here are some of the ways we’ve been lucky:
- Apartments are hard to come by in Geneva. It is on a lake and surrounded on three sides by the mountains. This makes land scarce. None of the buildings are taller than six or seven stories tall (preserving the mountain views). It has made the perfect storm. I have heard that there is .5% vancancy (it may even be less). When we only put one offer and got our dream flat we were extremely lucky.
- We were even luckier that we could get the keys within hours of landing!
- We were able to have a washer and dryer delivered before we had to do laundry at a laundrymat.
- We how have wireless (Swisscom)
- Our belongings arrived in Switzerland before we did.
- Our dogs have good new homes
- It is extremely beautiful here.
- The weather has been nice. Summer in Geneva seems a bit like summer in Chicago, there is tons going on and everyone is trying to make the most of the good weather.