Did you work Monday? He didn’t. We didn’t. Monday, August 1st was Swiss National Day (more about what Swiss National Day is in tomorrow’s post). If you didn’t get it off, make sure your boss gives you next August 1st off to celebrate. Here are ways to celebrate it:
- Fireworks (bonus points if you have them over a lake)
- Bonfires (preferably on a hill, mountaintop or other elevated spot)*
- Children carry lighted paper lanterns while they roam the streets at night
- Hang Swiss flags off a balcony
- Decorate busses with flags
- Put out special trash bags
- Bakers produce special bread rolls with a small Swiss flag on top. What is a holiday without a special pastry?
- Dress up in traditional Swiss costumes
* Bonfires on hills and other elevated spot, commemorate the expulsion of foreign bailiffs in the fourteenth century. They spread their news by bonfire in those days.
Pingback: The Spaghetti Tree Hoax, Aka Happy April Fool’s Day From Switzerland | schwingeninswitzerland