|One bag’s worth of candy
Top Ten Ways Halloween is Different in Switzerland:
10. Smaller bags of Halloween candy. There are 10-20 pieces per bag and each bag costs a lot more.
9. You have to search hard to find the candy. It’s not like the US where they sell it everywhere. There are aisles of chocolate bars in the grocery stores. Finding individually wrapped candies suitable for your Halloween candy bowl is another matter. For example, I do not think it is appropriate to hand out individually wrapped candies containing cherry liqueur to children.
8. Costumes are scary and supernatural-themed (witches, zombies, vampires, brains, blood, guts, etc.). You don’t see nurses, TV/movie characters, famous people, cartoon characters, superheros, etc. The Rocky Horror Picture Show may be lost in translation.
7. No trick-or-treaters.
Sally Brown: Do I get to go trick-or-treating this year big
Charlie Brown: Sure, Sally.
Sally Brown: Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! How do we do it?
Lucy Van Pelt: All you have to do is walk up to a house, ring the doorbell and say “Tricks or Treats.”
Sally Brown: Are you sure it’s legal?
Lucy Van Pelt: Of course it’s legal.
Sally Brown: I wouldn’t want to be accused of taking part in a rumble.
6. Halloween is not a huge holiday here so you get strange looks riding the tram or walking down the street looking like this. I found it helpful to wish everyone who looked at me strangely a “happy Halloween”. It usually elicited a smile.
5. No pumpkin spice lattes. We may have to bring some back with us. I have become fixated on it.
4. You might be disappointed with your Snickers after getting used to Swiss chocolate. I suspect this aspect of reintegration will be difficult.
3. No pet costumes. If I happen to see a St. Bernard (or any other dog) in costume, I promise to whip out my camera and post it for you.
2. Here, pumpkins are for eating. It is hard to find carving pumpkins here and there are definitely not any pumpkin patches. For that matter, I haven’t heard of any cider mills either. Great, now I’m starting to fixate on apple cider too.