La Jonction is the point where the Rhône River and the Aarve River converge, their confluence. The Rhône descends from the Alps (the Rhone Glacier in Valais) into the far end of Lake Geneva (Lac Léman). The water is then filtered while passing through deep Lake Geneva, coming out the other end an even clearer, brighter blue.
The Aarve is snowmelt directly from the Alps and is still full of sediment. Since it didn’t spend time in the lake being warmed by the sun, it is also much colder. Last August, I dipped my finger in in. It was over 32 degrees (0 Celsius), but not much. Bbrrrr. Our friends rafted down the Rhône and said that the bottom of their raft became noticeably cooler after the confluence of the Aarve at Jonction.
They can see the drastic difference in their color and sediment at the point where they meet. I’ve heard it described as Blue Curacao next to Bailey’s Irish Cream. After they join, the Rhone becomes greener and cloudier.
There is a lot of natural beauty in Switzerland. If Jonction were located elsewhere, it would probably get more attention. Here, it has to compete with stunning mountain ranges and crystal clear lakes.
Jonction is also a neighborhood in Geneva, located near the rivers’ confluence, one side is bordered by the Rhône and another by the Aarve. By the way, if people tell you to meet them at Jonction on a hot day, make sure to bring a swimsuit. The Rhône side of Jonction has a giant grassy area where people picnic and sunbathe. They jump in the river and float downstream to cool down. Oh yeah, they also jump off of bridges. We’ll do it again soon.
- Our First Big Hike Of The Summer (schwingeninswitzerland.wordpress.com)
- Stopping At Lavaux (schwingeninswitzerland.wordpress.com)
- Getting Our History On At Fort L’Ecluse (schwingeninswitzerland.wordpress.com)
- Neuchâtel, As Cute As Any French Town…But Swiss (schwingeninswitzerland.wordpress.com)
- Arles, Better Than New (schwingeninswitzerland.wordpress.com)
- Les Incompetents Vol. 10: Nothing Beats The Simple Pleasure Of A Bike Ride (schwingeninswitzerland.wordpress.com)
- The News From Geneva (schwingeninswitzerland.wordpress.com)