Annecy, France is beautiful. As it is an easy day trip from Geneva (or even an easy dinner trip), we’ve taken lots of visitors there. While it is exceptionally beautiful in summer with the masses flowers planted throughout the town every year, it has gorgeous old buildings, canals and a beautiful lakeside making it picturesque all year round and never disappoints visitors.
- Annecy is in the Savoy region of France. The Savoy region was part of the Italian Kingdom of Sardinia.
- Savoy borders Italy (as well as Switzerland). Annecy has maintained a strong relationship with Italy and hosts Italian themed cultural events, including and Italian Film Festival. It is even twinned with Vincenza in Venetia, Italy.
- Like Venice, Annecy has canals running through it with ancient bridges over them. It is known as the Venice of the Alps.
Two weeks after the traditional Carnival, Annecy hosts its own Venetian Carnival. Many of the costumed participants were in Venice during its carnival. The costumes are similarly ornate, mysterious and luxurious. Its over 350 costumed participants make it as large or larger that that of Venice.
Annecy has tourism down pat. It is photogenic and people turn up in droves to capture the over 350 costumes with the town as a backdrop. Although its crowded, if you are patient, you will get a shot as the participants are gracious and are eager to pose for you.
One of my favorite parts was seeing children so excited and dressed up in costumes. They were adorable and their enthusiasm was contagious.
- Elaborate costumes at the Carnival of Venice (j0annesim.wordpress.com)
- Sandwich of the Week: Reblochon and Jambon Cru at La Fermette in Annecy (thedailymeal.com)