We’d passed by Thun, before. It’s on the way to Interlaken and we’d heard there was a castle there. We’d just never stopped to see it. Last weekend was a long weekend so we weren’t on as much of a schedule. Someone at his work told him that the town merited a stop and a stroll. They were right.
The most important things to know about Thun are:
- It is located on the Aare River at the lower end of Lake Thun.
- The historic Old Town and the newer cafes and restaurants on the river are pretty freaking cute.
- Of course it has a castle because no self-respecting cute Swiss town would be could dead without one.
- The distance between the aforementioned castle is short, but very steep. Welcome to the Bernese Oberland.
It sounds nice, but is pretty standard for Switzerland.
We found Thun to be unique with interesting features that make it one of the better Swiss towns.
The main shopping thoroughfare boasts terraced sidewalks built on the roofs of the stores’ first floors. You can stroll the upper level or climb down stone stairs to visit the “sunken” street-level shops.
They have a covered bridge.
- Fribourg, Freiburg, A Charming Town And Lots Of Fun In Any Language (schwingeninswitzerland.wordpress.com)