Late one night, a group of us decided to ski the next day. When you make plans late at night for the next day, sometimes (shockingly) they aren’t well thought out. As we would be a large group of all levels, we decided to go to Les Contamines. Surprisingly, it turned out to be a good choice and a great day.
We chose it because:
- It is close to Geneva.
- It is not crowded. There are rarely any lift queues.
- As it is at the back-end of a valley, it is less traveled. It has a reputation for having a calm, laid back atmosphere.
- It is a small, relatively unspoiled town. There’s no trendy après-ski or clubs. In fact, there isn’t much nightlife. As a result, it is calmer.
- Fewer people means snow stays untracked longer. Who doesn’t love unskied powder?
- It offers a wide variety of terrain for all levels. We had a diverse group and there were pistes to suit everyone.
- The prices are reasonable.
- When the weather is clear, it has a wonderful view of Mt. Blanc. Heck, when the weather is clear, it has wonderful views. Period. Contamines is known for its beautiful mountain panoramas.
Oh yeah. It wouldn’t be a skiing post if I didn’t do something stupid. This time it yielded a cool photo. While I was lying with my face in the snow, I got my camera out and snapped a pic to show you the view from down there.
- Courmayeur (schwingeninswitzerland.wordpress.com)
- Mt. Blanc, The Tallest Mountain In The Alps (schwingeninswitzerland.wordpress.com)
- The News From Geneva (schwingeninswitzerland.wordpress.com)
- Snow Report Geneva (schwingeninswitzerland.wordpress.com)