Our friends are having a baby so a bunch of us got together for a baby shower.
Baby showers in Europe are not like in the US in that, well, they don’t have them. People may send or give a gift after the baby is born, but don’t get together to celebrate of give presents before the baby. Since you can’t go to the stores here and purchase baby shower invitations, I made the invitations.
It was a couples shower so we focused less on games, decorations and incredible cuteness. Instead, we had food and drinks. I made and individually wrapped Rice Krispie Treats for favors. Some of our European guests had never tasted them before. We were proud to introduce them to a new guilty pleasure.
Since we are American and can only adapt so much, we had one anyway. In deference to the multicultural nature of this shower, we did not play any of the following games:
- Guessing the circumference of the expectant mother’s tummy
- Smearing melted candy bars in diapers and have people sniff to guess the brand
- Tasting jars of baby food to guess the flavors
- Collecting baby pictures of guests, putting them in a slide show and have guests guess whose picture it is
- Making guess drink from baby bottles. Yes, I realize this is technically not a game. They may have drunk from other types of bottles.
- Have guests guess how much an assortment of baby supplies costs. In Switzerland, I think this would only scare the parents to be…and everyone else.
In fact, we didn’t play any games (unless you count the impromptu Chartreuse tasting as a game).
The parents-to-be opened presents, many of which had an adorable Swiss theme.
Congratulations and best wishes guys. We can’t wait to meet her.
Wow, superb blog structure! How lengthy have you ever been blogging for? you make blogging glance easy. The overall look of your site is great, as neatly as the content!
Pingback: Valentine’s Day and other non-events | theswisswatchblog
When I originally left a comment I clicked on the Notify me when new comments are added checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get four emails with the same comment.